Client: Plumer Road Shopping Village
project: Plumer Road Fair
Plumer Road Shopping Village is a boutique shopping village in Sydney’s eastern suburbs offering locals quality produce, great food and vibrant restaurants.
In 2017 the Village held its third annual street fair to bring together locals, visitors, retailers and schools. The aim of the event is to provide an annual gathering that creates a festival atmosphere and showcases the retailers and all they have to offer.
After hosting the Plumer Road Fair for two years, the owners wanted to review and update the event to take into consideration feedback received from the retail tenants as well as add freshness.
Our brief was to look at where we could make changes to provide better results for the retailers and increase the engagement with the community.
As we had been involved with the previous two fairs in the capacity of delivering media relations and community relations with local schools, we leveraged our existing knowledge, combined this with feedback that we collected from the retailers and adjusted the format to build on what had been established and create more excitement and energy for the visitors and retailers
- We changed from an afternoon to morning start time
- Doubled the number of market stalls to provide more craft gift options
- Added a giving back element by bringing in the RSPCA for a dog adoption day
- Introduced a Battle of the Bands section to showcase local school students judged by an Aria award-winning producer with the prize being a professionally recorded and produced track
- Chose art deco themed entertainment to reflect the heritage of the property
Adjusting the start time of the event to 10am meant more locals took advantage of the festivities with their families, dropping in for breakfast at the local cafes, shopping at the markets and enjoying the festival atmosphere.
- Approximately 3000 people attended the event
- The retailers all experienced a busy day, giving positive feedback to the changes
- The RSPCA created a lot of awareness of their dog adoption services, connecting with many locals
- Talented local school students showcased their abilities
Underground Communications managed our annual event in 2017 end to end. I’m really impressed with the groundwork and the successful event.
They have been great for our brand as [in addition to managing the fair] they understood the blockages we faced using social media and have really turned it around. We set our social media goals at the beginning of the year and nearly reached them all by September, including setting up Instagram for the first time.