Subject: media campaign – bullieve in yourself
Interrelate is a not-for-profit specialising in supporting parents and children, and strengthening family relationships.
For more than 90 years, they have been teaching sexuality and relationship education to young people and their parents. Anti-bullying education programs focus on creating awareness, providing strategies, whilst challenging inappropriate behaviours so that young people learn to think about the consequences of their own actions.
Their ‘Say No To Bullying’ poster competition was launched five years ago and, in 2018 was in its first year as a national competition. With 45,000 entries the organisation held an event at NSW Parliament, hosted by the Governor of NSW to announce the winner of the competition at the same time as having a discussion about this important topic.
With 33 finalists and their families attending this special event at NSW Pariliament House, hosted by His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret’d) Governor of New South Wales and Interrelate patron, the client wanted to take the opportunity to invite media along to the event to highlight how meaningful this campaign is to children across Australia, and how it impacts them from both sides of the equation.
Our brief was to connect with major media outlets, invite them to the event and generate media coverage that featured and discussed this competition and how it benefited those who took part.
With a two week lead time to this campaign it was imperative that we were able to quickly identify journalists who have an interest in the topic and who produce content for relevant media outlets, and make contact with them to gauge their interest in the story.
- research and identify relevant journalists and media to invite to the event
- concentrate our efforts on news and consumer outlets with an interest in sharing a positive message about this topic
- include education media for follow up stories
- stay in touch with media throughout the process to encourage involvement
- liaise with media at the event and post event with relevant information and interviews
- work quickly to provide follow up information
The two week campaign resulted in widespread national coverage of the competition and achieved the goal of reinforcing Interrelate’s commitment and role in specifically providing relationship services in schools.
- media attendance at the event to announce the winner of the competition
- facilitated media interview with the winner and her Mum
- generated stories in 37 news outlets nationally
- secured interview with Interrelate CEO Patricia Occeli in the education media
- generated three education media articles
The team at Underground Communications came in at the eleventh hour to put together a campaign to generate media coverage for the event announcing the winner of our annual ‘Say No To Bullying’ poster competition.
This is an important event in our annual calendar and has such a positive impact on the children who take part in it, and we felt that it was important to gain some recognition for this.
Our internal team were able to generate local press coverage featuring all the finalists in the competition, but we needed expert help to gain higher profile stories to acknowledge this important work. We were introduced to new avenues of generating coverage that we had not previously considered, expanding our awareness of what’s possible.”
Patricia Occelli, CEO, Interrelate